Plaid challenge: something old and something new

PLAID  CHALLENGE

This creation was made for the week of the plaid challenge.  It was finished September 3, 2012.  It is a vintage-inspired, yet modern pattern, made out of  just a few yards of cotton.

My dad picked this fabric out for me to buy years ago and, at that time, I hated the print-absolutely did not know what to do with a plaid!  Well, a year ago, my parents dug it out from its hiding spot in their house and ever since I saw it again I have rather liked it and wanted to tackle a sewing fear of mine by finally doing something productive with this fabric.

I only had a few patterns that required so little fabric but this one, Simplicity 2570, was chosen because of its minimal pieces and “pencil dress” shape.  I even placed the lining under the fabric so I could save time and cut both out at once!  You see my simplistic pattern weights before I pin…washers and vhs movies…

     I did not like the cap sleeves on the dress, so I used the sleeves from NewLook  6045 and shortened them, saving the few scraps that remained to cut some cuffs too.  I also lengthened the dress so I could sew some decorative tucks/pleats along the hem for interest.  Okay, okay,  so I took the easy way and basted the lining to each piece before sewing, but I wanted to make this week’s challenge.

     The most time consuming part of this pattern, for me, were the pleats in the center front of the dress (hated the extra basting and bulk at neckline)  and the back slit at the back bottom of the skirt (which took a lot of forethought).  Even the sleeves fit into the bodice beautifully.  I sewed them in with a 3/8 seam to accommodate  my bigger upper arms.  The sleeve cuffs were completely out of my head and made up as I went along.

     This is one of my most comfortable dresses and makes me feel dressed up in a plaid that I not only succeeded in matching but also conquered!  My only complaint is how the cotton wrinkles so easily.  Oh well!  Check out my fine details here:

I finally found a way to like something I originally did not like, and along the way also made something useful out of some old fabric begging to be transformed. What a Cinderella story! 

THE FACTS:

FABRIC: 100% cotton olive plaid shirting and oatmeal colored cotton for lining, both from stash

 NOTIONS:  bought a 7in. zipper, the rest (interfacing and thread) I had already

 PATTERNS: Simplicity 2570 view C (yr. 2009) in picture at right, plus NewLook 6045 view A (yr.2011) for sleeves

 FIRST WORN: shopping and to a park for pictures then out to eat with family.  Will be wearing this plenty!

 TIME TO COMPLETE: about 6 hours

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s