As I mentioned in my previous post, “Putting a Feather in My Hat”, a few years back I had made a basic but successful modern fleece hat which gave me some much needed confidence in hat making.
Like I mentioned in that post, I really don’t wear this hat too much, but it does fit and look great. The plaid is matched together perfectly, only it doesn’t match with my wardrobe as often as I would like. Nevertheless, my hat deserves a post sooner rather than later.
As you can see, my fleece plaid hat is not very receptive towards any special hairstyle or fixed up coiffure. It has a basic “skull cap” design and a long scarf-like piece that gets sewn onto the hat edge. The outer long “tail” of the hat’s scarf edge gets horizontal tucks to sort of aid in gathering that “tail” into a large decorative buckle. I used a semi-vintage (1960’s or 1970’s era) plastic pearled buckle from hubby’s Grandmother’s stash of notions to provide a feminine and neutral colored touch to the hat.
This hat was a very easy and quick two hour project. There wasn’t too much cost or any risk involved in making this hat, either, because it uses hardly any fabric and the fleece is stretchy enough to make the sizing forgiving. You could even use scraps to put together one of these type of hats, to make it even more sensible. Every so often an “instant satisfaction” project such as this hat is needed in my sewing – it keeps more complex creations from feeling like they’re so formidable.
The “skull cap” base of the hat is made up of six small triangles which, I am proud to see, line up the plaid all the way around. Look closely at the center back of the scarf bottom to the hat and you will see that there are just a few horizontal tucks there as well. I think it provides a nice touch of detail and keeps the band gathered all the way around.
I should get this hat out more often and wear it. Come to think of it, my fleece hat can be stuffed in pocket or purse, it will keep my ears and head warm for sure, plus, it is an easy, fashionable fix for a bad hair day!
NOTIONS: All I needed was thread for the hat’s construction. The buckle was on hand from hubby’s Grandmother’s stash. That buckle was missing it’s middle bar to be used as a regular belt closure, so it was perfect to be used decoratively.
PATTERN: Simplicity 2494, view C, year 2009. I would like to make the ivory version with the scalloped brim…so very 1920’s!
TIME TO COMPLETE: Only two hours! It was both made and finished on December 12, 2012.
TOTAL COST: About less than $2.00